Friday, July 5, 2013

Liebster Blog Award

I was nominated for the Liebster Blog Award! Avandarre in Dressage https://avandarre.wordpress.com/ nominated me for the award. One of the benefits of writing a blog is that you spend more time reading and learning from other people's blogs and this is one of them!  This is a favorite because she finds the humor in this crazy discipline we have chosen.

I copy and pasted the “how to accept part”.

HOW TO ACCEPT THE AWARD: The Liebster Blog Award is a way to recognize blogs who have less than 200 followers. Liebster is a German word that means beloved and valued. Here are the rules for accepting the award:
  • Thank the person who nominated you and include a link back to their blog.
  • List 11 random facts about yourself.
  • Answer the 11 questions given to you.
  • Create 11 questions for the bloggers you nominate.
  • Choose 11 bloggers with 200 or fewer followers to nominate and include links to their blogs.
  • Go to each blogger’s page and let them know you have nominated them.
11 Random Facts
  1. I have very short stubby legs -- the kind you don't' want for dressage.
  2. I have a great husband -- who happens to be 6 foot 6.  The height of husband who probably didn't dream of being married to someone with short stubby legs.
  3. I have three kids -- all much taller than me -- but I imagine they are not.
  4. I have chosen a horse that is more like a bulldozer than an ballerina.  But I love him for who he is and he tries hard for me.
  5. I grew up without electricity and running water.
  6. I was born in 1970.. which may surprise you considering #5.
  7. I went to Goucher College in Baltimore.
  8. I met my husband when I was seven at the county fair when we were showing livestock.
  9. We started dating when I was sixteen.
  10. I didn't start riding dressage until my late 30's.
  11. I wish I could quit my job and write articles about interesting people... with no intention of making a living at it.
11 Questions Answered

1. What accomplishments are you most proud of? Why?
This was probably intended to be a horse question but really my best accomplishment is my marriage and the resulting children.  Its the basis for everything else good in my life.

2. What was your biggest challenge? Did you overcome it yet, and if so, how? Or what have you learned from it?
See number 6.   Its the dang canter.  Its been our nemesis for a long time.   I do feel we are at the edge of getting it though.   What I have learned from it is that patience and persistence will get you there eventually.  It think that applies to most things -- dressage and life.

3. When training your horse, how do you (if you do) plan out what to work on for the ride, the week, the month?
I don't.  I wish I did but life gets in the way.  I do have a general plan of goals such as I want to work on cater this month and that will be the theme of each ride.  Its not the only things we do but it is the thing we are keeping as the theme -- for example, we will work on getting more impulsion or quicker transitions with canter as the end goal.

4. What is the most inspirational thing an instructor, mentor, or friend as said to you?
My Mom telling me she loved me.   Nothing more important to a girls self esteem than the unconditional love of her mother.

5. What are your goals for the next year, five years, and lifetime?
Next year...  get a good canter test
Five years.... do a good training level test and at the end of the five years start looking for a horse that has a bit more "ballerina in him"
Lifetime .... hopefully be able to ride into my old age.   My knees are not all that great so I am hoping they keep up with my goals.

6. Tell us about your worst training problem that you’ve overcome (i.e. difficult horse, or some element of training that you or the horse weren’t getting but finally did).
I think we are going through it right now.   We have been working very hard at getting the canter and it has proven to be very difficult.  First because Golly had some confirmation and then hock issues... then because I had some knee issues and now because well... its just hard!   We are starting to get it though and I think once we do then we will have something really good!

7. How do you stay fit for riding?
Ride.  :)   I wish I had more time to do other cross training but other obligations get in the way.   I do yoga, stretching, walking, and cycling when I can.

8. If you work outside of horses, how do you manage fitting horses in?   
Usually its because I get up early before work.  Its a great time to ride .. as the sun is warming the earth.  But before it bakes it.

9.  What is the one thing you want right this moment?
Chocolate.

10. What is one life lesson you would want people to know?
Most things are petty and not important.   Friendships and family and love.   Let the rest go.

11. How do you determine how far to take your horse’s training?
As far as he will go with me.  Take it slow and let his abilities and effort guide you.  If you treat him fairly he will do his best for you.

11 Questions For You
1. How do you manage to fit riding into your life?
2. If you could train with anyone for one year, who would it be and why?
3. What is your dream job (horse related or otherwise)?
4. What has been your biggest disappointment when riding?
5. What has been the happiest achievement in your riding?
6. Tell me about your favorite horse.
7. Does your family support your riding and if so, how and if not, how do you deal with it?
8. Tell me about your biggest "aha" moment.
9. If you could live anywhere in the world, where would it be?
10. Describe your dream horse (price is no object).
11.  What is your favorite horse items (tack or apparel)?

11 Awesome Blogs (in no particular order)
  1. http://dixierumble.wordpress.com/
  2. http://www.horsecrazy.net/bobsblog/
  3. http://halfpass.wordpress.com/
  4. http://pacesandtails.wordpress.com/
  5. https://avandarre.wordpress.com/about/
  6. http://www.bakersfielddressage.com/
  7. http://piaffegirl.wordpress.com/
  8. http://searchingforsecondlevel.wordpress.com/
  9. http://dressagemom.blogspot.com/
  10. http://finalchapter-karen.blogspot.com/
  11. http://dressagepony.blogspot.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to get feedback and hear about your journey-- please share!